Board of Trustees president Consuelo Rey Castro will be the second PCC representative to the new committee on gang violence, but will be the sole attendee at the first meeting.The public has been encouraged to attend the meeting-which was rescheduled from Oct. 1 due to a scheduling conflict-of the Ad Hoc Committee on Youth Development and Violence Prevention at 7 p.m. tonight in Pasadena City Council Chambers.
Priority will be given to diminishing the current violence. The committee will lay out a plan involving community-wide policy, and a system for operating it.
The plan includes conducting town hall meetings, and finding a direct role for youths to help identify gaps in services and to recommend solutions.
Committee members include Mayor Bill Bogaard; Council members Jacque Robinson, Victor Gordo, Steve Madison, and the Rev. Jean Burch. In addition to the two PCC board members, two from PUSD are included.
A representative from County Supervisor Michael Antonovich’s office and a member from Altadena Town Council will also be serving. Representatives from state Sen. Jack Scott’s office and Assembly Member Anthony Portantino’s office will be invited to participate.
Tonight’s agenda will feature an orientation by the City Attorney’s Office on the Brown act. Rules of order will be established and quorum. A Vice-chair will be elected. A meeting schedule will be established; the committee charge will be reviewed; presentations will be made taking into account already-existing youth services; the role of City Commissions, community groups, faith organization, and non-profit organizations will be discussed.
The meeting will be videotaped for airing on 55 KPAS and streaming video. City Hall is at 100 N. Garfield Ave.
- EDITORIAL: Apologize about the real problem - April 23, 2014
- STATEMENT: District apologizes to Oscar winning alum - April 21, 2014
- EDITORIAL: The Forgotten Students - March 26, 2014
- 18-year-old charged with murder pleads not guilty - February 26, 2014
- College opposes Chick-fil-A’s plans to open near campus - February 20, 2014
- Friends, family grieve over fatal shooting of PCC nursing student - February 18, 2014
- Academic Senate still at opposite ends with administration - February 12, 2014
- Is the end of the hardcover book approaching? - February 1, 2014
- Dance class, a place to embody your homework - January 30, 2014
- Artist in Residence “Yes No” exhibit opens soon - January 29, 2014