10. The Shining – Written by Stephen King and directed by Stanley Kubrick, who also directed A Clockwork Orange, this movie tops just about everyone’s list of favorite horror classics. A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil presence drives the father to insanity.09. The Birds – The birds have gone insane in this 1963 film starring Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor. A wealthy female follows her boyfriend to a small northern California town where birds begin attacking people.
08. The Others – It’s a psychological thriller about a family that encounters the presence of a family within their home, starring Nicole Kidman. It ends with a twist no one would expect.
07. The Eye – An Asian film about the spirit of a girl that haunts a pregnant woman. The people believe she is suffering from a depression induced by her pregnancy. A remake is set to come out next year with Jessica Alba.
06. Rosemary’s Baby – This 1968 horror film is about a woman (Mia Farrow) and her husband, they move into a building where cannibal serial killers once lived. As the movie progresses, she experiences odd and unpleasant things, then suddenly becomes pregnant after having a nightmare with a horrific creature making love to her.
05. Cabin Fever – Written and directed by Eli Roth, this gory film takes a group of young adults on a trip to a cabin in the forest. They soon become infected with a flesh eating bacteria. This is the film that did for shaving what Psycho did for showers.
04. Hostel – Also directed by Eli Roth, the film takes a group of young adults on a trip to Europe where they meet two gorgeous women, only to find themselves prisoners in a place where they are dismembered and killed.
03. Poltergeist – A little girl whispers. Whispering children are always scary.
02. Nightmare on Elm Street – One, two. Freddy’s coming for you. Three, four. Better lock your door. A serial killer attacks the children of those in the lynch mob who killed him in their dreams.
And the ultimate horror film of all time.
01. Material Girls – Hilary Duff and her sister Hailey parade around like the non-compos mentis half-wits they are.