The Lancers took home their fourth South Coast Conference victory of the season Wednesday evening after defeating East Los Angeles College in a three set match.
After losing their opening SCC North match against ELAC on October 3, PCC have jumped back by winning against Mt. Sac, Rio Hondo and Chaffey. PCC defeated the Huskies 25-21, 25-19, 25-19, putting them in the lead of the SCC North division.
With an overall hitting percentage at .400, freshman outside hitter Leslie Rivera totalled 13 kills, eight digs and three service aces. Freshman opposite and middle blocker Abby Martin scored eight kills, three service aces and five digs. Freshman outside hitter Janell Curier came in close with eight kills and five digs.
The Lancers proved to be the more vigorous force in the match. With a strong defense, PCC was able to stop ELAC from gaining points in critical times.
“We were really aggressive,” Rivera said. “Our defence was really good. Our serving was really strong.”
Sharon Ohlgisser, a sophomore defensive specialist and libero, recalls that the team still has several issues to fix from Wednesday’s match.
“We won, so that’s a good thing,” Ohlgisser said. “But I think that there’s always things that we can fix. We weren’t playing to our full potential.”
Like the October 3 match against ELAC, PCC still had communication issues, especially in defense.
While hopes remain high for the Lancers, the team lost 3-0 to Mt. Sac on Friday in their seventh SCC North match. PCC played catch up in the second round of the game but eight errors by the Lancers in the third match locked the score at 25-22, 25-22, 25-13.
Nikki Hernandez, a freshman setter, is hopeful that the team will snag the SCC North title.
“Nothing is promised,” Hernandez said. “I think that [Mike Terrill] has really told us that we don’t deserve anything. We can’t expect to win.”
PCC faces Rio Hondo on Wednesday at 6 pm, then will take on Chaffey on Friday at 6 pm.
- Lancers take revenge on ELAC, pushing PCC towards playoffs - November 7, 2018
- Greetings from Dubai, among other places - October 31, 2018
- Review: ‘Oh, the Humanity and Other Good Intentions’ - October 25, 2018
- Board of Trustees: 10/24/2018 meeting - October 25, 2018
- Man reported defecating in mirror pools - October 17, 2018
- PCC falls to ELAC: A loss 12 years in the making - October 10, 2018
- Coming Fall 2019: No more math or English prerequisites - September 26, 2018
- Local businesses flourish at Monrovia’s Friday night street fair - September 19, 2018