The stands filled up and the crowd cheered, as the Lancers volleyball team beat Orange Coast College in a close match, 3-2 on Sept. 21 at PCC.
The Lancers were fired up for the match. The fans were excited as they stomped their feet on the stands. Helping to keep the momentum was the football team’s cheer of “Let’s Go Lancers, Let’s Go!”
“We came out to support the team because they have supported us on the field,” said Tesi Fisilau, undecided, who is a lineman on the Lancers football team.
The Lancers took the winning lead in the first match, 25-20.
The Lancers’ energy appeared low and lost the second match 25-22.
“It was a rollercoaster,” said middle blocker Megan Callen. “We broke down.”
In the third match the score was tied until almost the end but ended up losing the match 25-15.
With the Lancers’ undefeated status at stake, intensity appeared in the air. The crowd clapped its hands, stomped on the floor and cheered and the Lancers were fired up after a talk with Head Coach Tammy Silva.
“The team has a few mottos,” she said. “‘We believe’ and ‘Find a Way.'”
One could hear the Lancers shout these mottos as they forged on to win the fourth match, 25-15.
Tension mounted as the set came to a close. Both teams won two matches and a lot was riding on the fifth match; both teams appeared determined to win.
“When times are tough we mesh together and find a way to get it done,” said libero Jessica Vargas. “I pray before each game.”
During the fifth match, middle blocker Yanise Joseph was taken out of the game due to a foot injury.
The Lancers were determined. “I have never seen a team get along so well, we are like a puzzle being completed,” Cullen said.
The Lancers won the match 15-9.
“I am proud of my girls,” Silva said. “They earn every win.”
Despite squeezing out the win against Orange Coast College to remain undefeated on Sept. 21, the Lancers were not as successful in the weekend tournament at Los Angeles Pierce College.
PCC came out of the Pierce Tourney with two wins and a loss against the Santa Monica, Golden West and Santa Barbara City colleges this weekend. They swept Santa Monica on Sept. 23 but lost to Golden West in a closer match on Saturday, 3-2. The Lancers did better in their second Saturday match sweeping Santa Barbara City.
The Lancers begin South Coast Conference play Sept. 30 against Long Beach City College.
- EDITORIAL: Apologize about the real problem - April 23, 2014
- STATEMENT: District apologizes to Oscar winning alum - April 21, 2014
- EDITORIAL: The Forgotten Students - March 26, 2014
- 18-year-old charged with murder pleads not guilty - February 26, 2014
- College opposes Chick-fil-A’s plans to open near campus - February 20, 2014
- Friends, family grieve over fatal shooting of PCC nursing student - February 18, 2014
- Academic Senate still at opposite ends with administration - February 12, 2014
- Is the end of the hardcover book approaching? - February 1, 2014
- Dance class, a place to embody your homework - January 30, 2014
- Artist in Residence “Yes No” exhibit opens soon - January 29, 2014