Returning from a game lost at Fullerton College, PCC men’s soccer team dusted off their cleats to march to a victory against San Bernardino Valley College, 3-1, on Monday.During the small break, between the game against Fullerton and San Bernandino, the team hit some trouble but still prevailed.
“It’s a great feeling to win a game right after a loss. We put the ball on the ground and did excellent,” said Cherif Zein, soccer director.
The team had a few starters missing, but according to Zein the team worked as a unit by connecting passes and communicating, leading them to the victory.
In the game against San Bernandino, Lancer midfielder Pablo Cesear Mendoza scored a 25-yard-out goal. Teammates credit Mendoza’s goal as the “best one so far.”
“I never seen a goal like that in junior college, or in 30 years for that matter,” said Zein.
Teammate Benjamin Martin went on to score another goal assisted by defender Malcolm Linton.
The Lancers were stung with a loss Friday, 2-1, by the Fullerton Hornets during a game that was no less than a battle.
Due to tactics from Fullerton and the referees’ decision, the Lancers felt short-handed by a penalty call made.
The referee called a yellow card on freshmen defender Daniel Simonian when a goal was overturned because it was offside.
Against the Hornets, the Lancers fell behind early, and, according to the Pasadena fan’s sentiments, missed a lot chances to capitalize.
“We played good, but we gave up two early goals,” said Abbas Said, midfielder for the Lancers.
Next the Lancers march to East Los Angeles College, and with the performances of Mendoza and other players, we might see some new starting faces for the conference opener.
- EDITORIAL: Apologize about the real problem - April 23, 2014
- STATEMENT: District apologizes to Oscar winning alum - April 21, 2014
- EDITORIAL: The Forgotten Students - March 26, 2014
- 18-year-old charged with murder pleads not guilty - February 26, 2014
- College opposes Chick-fil-A’s plans to open near campus - February 20, 2014
- Friends, family grieve over fatal shooting of PCC nursing student - February 18, 2014
- Academic Senate still at opposite ends with administration - February 12, 2014
- Is the end of the hardcover book approaching? - February 1, 2014
- Dance class, a place to embody your homework - January 30, 2014
- Artist in Residence “Yes No” exhibit opens soon - January 29, 2014