Have some time to kill? Why not catch a movie? For only $2, you can see the biggest hits of the summer at Regency Academy Cinemas on Colorado Boulevard, just a 10-minute walk from campus.
Freshman Danny Goldsworthy takes advantage of the close proximity to campus when on a break from class.
“My friend drives me in, so while I wait for him to get out of class, I head [to the movie theater],” said Goldsworthy. “[I saw] Green Lantern a couple of weeks ago. Just went down and for $2 got a movie. It’s great.”
The Regency is a “Second Run” theater. When the big blockbusters are screened over the summer in regular theaters, they last about six weeks before they disappear.
When they leave those theaters, the movies come into “second run” theaters for a second showing period, their second run.
Because they have been in theatrical distribution for months already, the ticket price is only $2 or $3 depending on the film.
The movies playing right now include the summer hit, “Cowboys and Aliens,” which is still playing in some first run theaters because the end of summer is a down period for the movies, so nothing has replaced it yet. Also, “XMEN: First Class,” which was just released on DVD, is at Regency. Spielberg blockbuster “Super 8” is a must-see as well.
But for a quick little escape between classes, “Horrible Bosses” is a great way to unwind, especially when a professor has got you down. This is such a funny movie. This reporter enjoyed the movie so much, he went back to see it three times.
So follow your classmates who have gone before you and head down the street to the Regency Academy Cinemas to catch a quick flick between classes. It’s better than laying on the lawn by the Mirror Pool for two hours.
- EDITORIAL: Apologize about the real problem - April 23, 2014
- STATEMENT: District apologizes to Oscar winning alum - April 21, 2014
- EDITORIAL: The Forgotten Students - March 26, 2014
- 18-year-old charged with murder pleads not guilty - February 26, 2014
- College opposes Chick-fil-A’s plans to open near campus - February 20, 2014
- Friends, family grieve over fatal shooting of PCC nursing student - February 18, 2014
- Academic Senate still at opposite ends with administration - February 12, 2014
- Is the end of the hardcover book approaching? - February 1, 2014
- Dance class, a place to embody your homework - January 30, 2014
- Artist in Residence “Yes No” exhibit opens soon - January 29, 2014